maandag 29 november 2010

review: Moon Duo - Escape



This duo from San Francisco really set me off on a trip with their latest EP "Escape". I believe that in the meantime they already released another 7 inch and a split 7 inch... but this 12" EP does it big time for me.

Last year they released two more 12"'s of which one through Sacred Bones... known from Zola Jesus and Factums to name just two other excellent contemporary acts from the USA.

Anyway this new EP has all the elements to please the real freak out there... it has the minimalistic way of doing things like Suicide did, the drums (from a machine / sample) and the guitar are doing their thing in that classic Jesus and Mary Chain way and then all of this is done in a 60's acid rock style. For me this description already sounds like heaven but from vinyl... well... it is like the trip I always wanted...

Blasting loud through my speakers in a slightly lit room... dozing off on these tracks that take about 7 minutes each... I feel like lying in a corner on the floor at one of these acid test Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters pulled off... still I could stand up and dance my head off in the flickering strobelights at any moment soon...

"Escape" is released on the Woodsist label from fellow acid heads Woods. There is also this recent compilation out on Woodsist entitled "Welcome Home: Diggin'The Universe - A Woodsist Compilation". There is another great track from Moon Duo on that one. Next to that you will hear various contemporary interpretations of psychedelic and beat music from a total of thirteen bands. Worth checking out too...

Moon Duo is planning to tour Europe spring 2011 together with Turkish band Kim Ki O. Kim Ki O of course recently releases their debut LP "Dans" on my Enfant Terrible label.

Well... that is it... sorry I am back to my trip now... join me by tuning into Moon Duo here...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.